Last night we hosted “From Floors to Walls” a Boston Design Week special event with Jacqui Becker of Jacqueline Becker Fine Arts Consulting Services. We’ve been anticipating this event for a long time, and we were very excited to help our audience demystify the art of decorating with fine rugs and fine art, including understanding what drives their prices and how to make an educated investment.
After learning the secrets, guests got to put their new knowledge to the test, guessing the value of vignettes of exquisite carpets and fine art that were on display in classic, traditional, contemporary, and transitional styles. We even had one lucky raffle winner go home with a 5”x7” rug!
We always have fun sharing insider tips, which hopefully provide everyone with the tools needed to become better-informed consumers! If you were unable to make our presentation, we’ve outlined some great tips from the presentation here below. Check out these “5 Tips to Consider before Purchasing a Rug.”
- Color- Unless your room is a blank slate you should aim to select a rug that coordinates with the room’s existing color scheme. Trust us, when you get the color right, everything else becomes so much easier.
- Design- Let your personal style and existing décor guide you to select either a traditional, contemporary, or transitional rug. When in doubt, transitional designs are a smart choice, as they tend to work in most interiors.
- Texture- The visual effects of texture should not be underestimated. Not only are textured rugs visually intriguing in themselves, but also they offset the solid surface of your floor, drawing your eyes into the dimensions of the rugs.
- Construction- Different constructions will determine durability, prestige, and price.
- Fiber- Fibers will determine a rug’s cleanabilily, durability, color retention, and softness.