It is very important to take good care of your hardwood floors, we have said before and we will say it again, purchasing hardwood flooring is like making anB investment in your home. And like other investments you need to maintain it, this means regularly cleaning your hardwood floors. Follow these easy cleaning steps to ensure a long life for you hardwood floor.
1. Sweep wood floors often with a soft, fine bristle broom.
2. Vacuum once or twice a week to remove dirt and sand. Use a soft brush attachment to minimize scratching.
3. Since water is one of a wood floors worst enemies, get rid of water right away! Remove wet spills ASAP with soft towels or a wet/dry vacuum, and then dry thoroughly.
4. Use a very dry damp mop when mopping polyurethane wood floors, since excess water can seep into seams and ruin a wood floor.
5. Consider using carpet runners (with non-skid pads) over wood floors in high traffic areas.
6. Vacuum area rugs and runners often so dirt doesn’t filter down through the weave and scratch the wood underneath.
7. If possible, do not wear heavy shoes or high heels on hardwood floors, as some heels can cause dents.
8. Never drag furniture or other objects across a wood floor. Instead, clean the floor thoroughly to remove dust and grit, then use “gliding” furniture pads underneath the piece to aid sliding it across the floor.
9. Install floor mats at each entrance so you don’t track in dirt from the bottoms of shoes.
10. Be sure to follow manufacturer recommendations to treat flooring scratches and dents. If an area of the finish is damaged by water, it may be difficult to fix it.
11. Use furniture pads to place under table and chair legs and on the feet of dressers and armoires. They can be purchased at a local hardware store or home center.
12. Some floors may require periodic waxing and buffing. Get recommendations from the manufacturer for the specific procedures for your floor.
Of course it is always best to check with the manufacturer for specific cleaning and care requirements, a professional at Dover Rug will be happy to help you find the proper cleaning requirements for your floor.